[cairo] Subject: ImageSurfacePattern disappears with a large enough scale factor

Michel Iwaniec michel_iwaniec at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 05:04:12 PST 2008

Thank you for looking into this, but the improvements seem to do very little for my test case. While the image does not disappear any more, its position becomes random when zooming in just a little more beyond the initial test condition.

To see why I need a zoom level that might seem insanely large at first, consider this screenshot:
http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~miciw347/resample_example_mpm.png

What I have here is a high-resolution image (represented by the blue grid) that should be resampled into the low-resolution image (represented by the orange grid, and the drawn ImageSurfacePattern). So it is important for me to be able to visualize which pixels in the high-resolution image will affect a pixel in the low-resolution image.

I can certainly understand the performance argument. But since the rendered image just becomes a random mess beyond a certain upscaling, I would suggest an approach where a ROI is extracted conditionally only when the upscaling is large enough. Or maybe at least have a "prefer quality" switch somewhere that does this. My GUI doesn't have very high performance requirements and trying to implement lots of work-arounds due to bad precision seems like an akward solution.

Considering a more long-term solution, are there any plans to increase Pixman's precision anytime soon? 16.16 fixed point seems rather restrictive in this day and age.

Regards,
Michel