[cairo] Struggling with subpixel text (last blocker for 1.8)

David Turner david at freetype.org
Wed Oct 1 07:01:43 PDT 2008

I'm not sure I've been clear enough, because I really don't understand
whether Carl wants to do LCD filtering
in Cairo or not. Just as a clarification, the LCD-specific APIs in FreeType
have been designed in such a way
to enable the following:

1/ FreeType clients can use the LCD-specific APIs independent of FreeType's
implementation. It's still there by default
    but will return 'gray' pixmaps (where R=G=B is enforced). You can change
that with a single config macro change

2/ Whenever one wants to enable LCD filtering on their system, they only
need to update their build of FreeType.
    All other clients that use the APIs directly don't need to change their
binaries. They should just work.

So, ideally, there should be a *single* library that needs to be changed on
your system to enable the feature.

If you decide to do the filtering in Cairo / LibXft / whatever, you simply
make the situation more complex and byzantine
for everyone (distributors, packagers, end-users)