[cairo] rookie question

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 10 12:03:02 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 00:45 +0900, KwangYul Seo wrote:
> What is the current status of glucose? It is hard find information on
> glucose. Is it still under development?

I don't think it's being developed at all.

It does seem strange to me that there always seems to be excitement
about using OpenGL to improve our 2D rendering stack, (whether within
cairo or the X server), but then the projects that attempt this end up
stalling, (see Glitz and Glucose).

Meanwhile, there's *still* interest in this. Joe Drew plans to do a new
OpenGL-based backend for cairo, (Joe, do you have a cute name for it
yet?). And Eric Anholt plans to do a new OpenGL-based acceleration
architecture for X, (it's got a nice name, but I'll let him announce it
when there's more code than vapor).