[cairo] libpixman-1-so.a not found during make

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Oct 14 09:25:38 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 00:57 +0100, Dave Wood wrote:
> gcc: ..//usr/lib/pkgconfig/libpixman-1-so.a: No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** [libcairo.la] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/cairo-1.8.0-src-1/src'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/cairo-1.8.0-src-1/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/cairo-1.8.0-src-1'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I can't seem to find any info on this error. Tried 1.8.0 and 1.6.4

Hi Dave,

I notice that you haven't gotten any replies to your question here, so
let me attempt something.

First, I see that gcc is looking for a file name "libpixman-1-so.a".
That seems an odd name to me. The ".a" extension suggests a static
library, but "-so" suggests a shared library. So that seems funny at
least, but perhaps it's normal for your platform.

Meanwhile, I've never actually attempted to do any static linking of
cairo and pixman, (though it should work fine). Are you intending to do
that here?

> I have pixman-0.12.0 installed.

What files exist as part of that installation? If you look at what files
exist and compare that to what gcc is being told to look for, perhaps
that will point to the problem.