[cairo] [API] cairo_set_error() and friends

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 17 13:16:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 13:55 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> I don't have a strong opinion either way.  Call it cairo_set_status() please.

Well, we could add it now only as an internal thing, (unless you're
wanting to open a new 1.9 branch with this new bit of API).

The cairo_set_status name does seem like the thing, but it might look a
bit too innocent too. I mean, certainly this will be documented with
waving red flags saying that this is a way to raise an error status and
will shut down the current object.

But I can see people running across the name and thinking that it could
be used to clear an error status like this:

	/* Ignore errors */
	if (cairo_get_status (cr))
	    cairo_set_status (cr, CAIRO_STATUS_SUCCESS);

which we obviously wouldn't support, but I do wonder a bit if the name
would suggest this kind of thing too much.

> ...  Anyway, I'll let Carl turn it down ;).

I don't know. I am less opposed to it than I am to
cairo_font_options_set_lcd_filter. :-)