[cairo] error: 'RepeatNone' undeclared (first use in this function)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 31 13:17:28 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 15:03 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2008, at 11:48, Carl Worth wrote:
>
> > Oh, oops! This might be the problem:
> >
> > 	/* Extended repeat attributes included in 0.10 */
> > 	#define RepeatNone                          0
> >
> > I'm guessing you've got a version of the Xrender library that's older
> > than 0.10, and that's what's tripping you up here.
>
> Most likely -- MacPorts has xrender 0.9.0. I've wanted to update the
> xrender port several times, but I haven't been able to find out what
> the project's homepage is or what the current version is. It's good
> to know that 0.10.x is available, but where can I get it?

This is just another component of the X.org project which you can find
out more about here:

	http://www.x.org

As for the "0.10" above, that's actually quite confusing. That's
actually referring to version 0.10 of the Render protocol between the X
server and the client (which client portion is implemented in the
libXrender library).

So the current libXrender release is numbered 0.9.4 and that was in Xorg
7.4 released last month.

But that's not even the interesting piece, as it doesn't provide the
render.h file defining RepeatNone. Instead, that comes from the
renderproto package. It in turn has a 0.9.3 version in spite of the fact
that it's describing protocol version 0.10. I'm guessing Keith is to
blame for the versioning confusion there.

Meanwhile, I looked into the oldest release of renderproto mentioned on
this page:

	http://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/ModuleVersions

Which is renderproto 0.9.2 first available in Xorg 7.0. It also
describes protocol 0.10 and also includes the definition of the
RepeatNone macro.

So I don't know how ancient the render bits are in macports, but they
would seem to be old indeed.