[cairo] cairo macros and public API

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Sep 2 22:12:48 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 00:49 +0100, Chris Vine wrote:

> If I have that part of it correct, then the cairoint.h header provides a
> convenience CAIRO_BITSWAP8_IF_LITTLE_ENDIAN macro which seems to be just
> what is required, but it is not listed in the index of symbols in the
> cairo documentation. Does this mean that it is for internal cairo use
> only and that I should not rely on it as part of the public cairo API?

That's correct.

"cairoint.h" means "cairo internal" and is only for use by the
implementation of cairo itself, not for users of cairo, (and it
shouldn't be installed, etc.).

Note the following comment at the beginning of cairoint.h:

/*
 * These definitions are solely for use by the implementation of cairo
 * and constitute no kind of standard.  If you need any of these
 * functions, please drop me a note.  Either the library needs new
 * functionality, or there's a way to do what you need using the
 * existing published interfaces. cworth at cworth.org
 */

That said, if the macro does what you want, please feel free to copy its
definition into your program, (though, preferably without a CAIRO_
prefix).

Have fun with cairo!