[cairo] gobject boxed types

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 03:51:07 PDT 2008

2008/9/13 Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>

> Hi,
>
> We had a short discussion about this on #gtk+ a few days ago.
> Basically, it would greatly help the GObject-based stack above Cairo
> (GTK+, HippoCanvas, GooCanvas, Clutter, etc.) if we had official
> GObject "boxed" types for Cairo objects.
>
> This is necessary because the GTypes are used in things like signals
> to specify argument types, and language bindings need that data.  Now,
> one possibility Matthias Clasen suggested would be to put these in
> GDK, which would be somewhat tricky from a layering perspective
> (neither Pango nor Clutter for example currently depend on GDK as far
> as I know), but might be workable.  Another possibility is to put them
> in Cairo itself, optionally enabled.

A reflection of this problem will appear at language bindings level.  If we
put this in Cairo itself, then pycairo should add support for this and
optionally depend on pygobject.  It sounds fine to me, but I hope the
pycairo maintainer is OK with it too! ;-)

But I think this is a good idea; currently GooCanvas is defining its own
private GTypes for Cairo stuff, which clearly are not specific to
GooCanvas...

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
INESC Porto, Telecommunications and Multimedia Unit