[cairo] gobject boxed types

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 10:32:39 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 10:12 -0700, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> Hmm.. my biggest problem with this is that it's essentially putting a
> language binding into Cairo -- a binding to the glib type system.  No
> other language binding is present inside Cairo.  However, I do
> understand that there are a lot of glib-using projects for which this
> would be beneficial.  Why not put this in an entirely separate (and
> simple) cairo-glib library?  That gives glib-using projects something
> clear to link with, and it avoids the dependency problems that Luiz
> and others have mentioned.

There's also been discussion about making gio-friendly streams interface
for cairo which would seem to also belong in a cairo-glib. Then given
such a library there is scope for including more cairo utility functions
that are common to GLib/GObject based applications. For example, having
a good region management library - i.e. move GdkRegion down the stack
and improve its memory footprint. So I think the argument against adding
another small library to the application stack is self-defeating.
--
Chris Wilson