[cairo] MadButterfly - a toolkit describe UI in SVG and based on Cairo

Thinker Li thinker.li at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 18:21:13 PDT 2008

Hi All,

months ago, I start project, called MadButterfly, to make a toolkit that UI
designer can describe UI in SVG and programmer can manipulate the objects
corresponding to SVG tags and interact with users of the application.  After
few days of work, my friend told me that Andre Schmidt had post his idea and
demo, http://lists.o-hand.com/clutter/1375.html, in clutter mailing list.
Yes,it is exactly what I am making.

MadButterfly is based on Cairo only and no more, maybe Xlib.  It is actually
a translator + a library.   The translator is a short program written in
Python.  It translate SVG files into C soruce files that create
corresponding objects in C.  Then, you the programmer can manipulate objects
created by the generated code.  I had made several examples for it. A simple
drop menu example, a calculator, and a small, but not completed, game
"tank".

The project is, now, here,
    http://www.assembla.com/spaces/MadButterfly
you need pmake, the "make" used by *BSD, and Cairo to try it.
After build and install it, you can try examples in examples/ sub-directory.
It is working fine in FreeBSD, now.  But, it may suffer high-loading in
Linux.
Because, it relies heavily on system call gettimeofday() to animate
graphics.  But, it will be fixed after trying TSC for Linux.