[cairo] cairo-demo download?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Sep 24 12:58:52 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 12:59 -0300, Ian Britten wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there somewhere the cairo-demo module can be downloaded from,
> as a tarball?
> [ I'm behind a firewall, and thus can't pull them from CVS as per
> the instructions on http://www.cairographics.org/examples/ ]
>
> I had hoped to find it at http://www.cairographics.org/releases/
> or ideally in the cairo tarball itself, but didn't see it anywhere
> [ Apologies if I've overlooked it somewhere ]

This code is totally ancient, and hasn't been touched in a very long
time, (as evidenced by the fact that it's rotting in cvs rather than
being in a git repository).

One of the problems with cairo-demo was that we were mixing in various
backend-specific demos, (xlib, PDF, etc.), and also language-binding
specific things, (pycairo, etc.). Another problem was that some of the
demos were more just debugging/test programs rather than interesting
demos. And others were more like small applications. So there's
definitely a mixed bag of things there.

We've since come to understand that the language-specific demos belong
with the bindings themselves. And I'd still like to see a nice set of
minimal, but interesting sample programs demonstrated across a variety
of cairo backends. I've always thought that a good tutorial would create
such a thing as a natural side effect.

Until someone does that, though, you can get at the old cairo-demo code
with this web-based interface to cvs:

	http://cvsweb.freedesktop.org/cairo/cairo-demo/

(It doesn't look like there are any links to download tar files, but
perhaps you can get by with browsing to individual files.)

I hope that helps,