[cairo] _cairo_win32_tmpfile()

Damian Frank damian.frank at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 22:26:07 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> Take some sleep though, in the mean time hopefully other win32 users of cairo
> also comment on their use cases and practices.

Behdad already knows this since I spent so much time this release
whining to him about things that weren't working for me.  :-)  But for
the record:

We used a relatively small set of Cygwin tools, including GNU make,
plus the MSVC compiler extensively already.  So, the Makefile.win32
setup in Cairo is perfect for us.  I have no solid evidence, but I
suspect that this kind of setup is common for developers with
cross-platform products; GNU-compatible Makefiles are about the only
way to develop on Linux, Windows, and the Mac without big
redundancies.

As an aside, I think that the hardest part about generating a Visual
Studio project file will be picking which file format, since they seem
to significantly change formats every release.  Picking the oldest
version in common usage is probably the smart thing, since it will
forward-convert.  (For the record, we use "Visual Studio .NET 2003,"
a.k.a. Visual C++ 7.)

Anyway, the new build infrastructure rocks.  Thanks Behdad!

Damian