[cairo] Cairo dependency in Pango during compile

Peters, Ron rpeters at columbia.com
Thu Apr 30 10:46:13 PDT 2009

I've got an issue with compiling cairo and pango.  I tried posting to the pango mailing list and didn't get any response.  I don't know where the problem lies so I thought I'd try here.

I'm trying to compile pango with cairo for GTK and I can't get it to work.  The versions are pango 1.24.0 and cairo 1.8.6.  When running a 'configure' on cairo, the last output displays what will be compiled in.  This is a portion of what is displayed:

The following font backends:
  User:          yes (always builtin)
  FreeType:      yes
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  Quartz:        no (requires CoreGraphics framework)

Pango then compiles without any problem, but when I try to 'configure' GTK, it errors that pango built with cairo is required.  This led me back to the pango build.

I checked the config.log for pango and see that there is a problem and cairo was disabled.  This is the portion of the config.log:

configure:19742: checking for CAIRO
configure:19749: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "cairo >= $cairo_required"
configure:19752: $? = 0
configure:19765: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "cairo >= $cairo_required"
configure:19768: $? = 0
configure:19805: result: yes
configure:19887: checking which cairo font backends could be used
configure:19893: result: none
configure:19895: Disabling cairo support

I suspect there is something simple that I'm not doing correctly but I don't know what it is.  Any idea why pango is not finding the font backends in cairo?