[cairo] win32 mingw build problems

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 5 11:33:38 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 12:27 -0500, Damian Frank wrote:
> Thanks for following up.  Yes, things are great now.  (Although at the
> moment I'm using the 1.9.2 snapshot.)

I'm glad to hear that. And you're providing good evidence that the
snapshots are useful to people, (who want to follow the newer code, but
who aren't able to pull from git for whatever reason).

Speaking of which, we're probably overdue for a 1.9.4.

> One of these days I'll figure git out and submit actual diffs.  Or
> whatever git calls them.  :-)

Once you finally make the effort to get started with git you're likely
to find that it's easier than you thought. Here's the basics:

1. Install git

2. Use git to clone the cairo repository:

	git clone git://git.cairographics.org/git/cairo

3. Hack away on cairo fixing whatever bug you encounter

4. Commit your fix:

	git commit -a

   This is a local-only operation so doesn't require any permission from
   us, nor will we even see the result from this (unless you go on to a
   later step to email it to us). Git will bring up an editor for you
   to describe your change. Type a one-line description, and a
   one-paragraph summary, save, then exit the editor.

[Now repeat steps 3 and 4 as needed if you have more things to fix.]

5. Generate a patch from your commit(s):

	git format-patch origin

   This will generate file for each commit named something like:

	0001-Short-description-of-first-change.patch
	0002-Description-of-your-second-change.patch

   And you can just send those on to the cairo list, (they're already
   formatted as email messages so you can use them like that or you
   can send them as attachments. Either way will work just fine).

I hope that helps.

Have fun with cairo,