[cairo] Java Cairo and windows?

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Tue Aug 11 19:27:43 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 15:14 -0400, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> You should be able to compile java-gnome on windows too

Don't know where you would have gotten that idea, but no. Microsoft's
Windows is not a GNOME platform and isn't something anyone in our
community supports. java-gnome does not build on Windows.

As it happens, it also turns out not to be possible for technical
reasons; among other things, GTK is not thread-safe on Windows, and
thread-safety is something we chose to depend on. So java-gnome can't
run on Windows either. But to be honest, in this case the technical
issue is secondary.

I didn't really want to chime in to this thread, because I'm not that
interested in getting into a debate about it. java-gnome is a small
project, and it consumes far more of my time than I can afford. Which is
to say I can't afford to spend any time on it at all. Focusing on [only]
Linux (and Unix) platforms with GNOME installed is thus an obvious
optimization, and one I don't have to feel bad about it. We do, after
all, make it very clear that our library are language bindings to write
GNOME applications. That's what I set out to create, and that's what we
did.

I realize full well that _Cairo_ builds on various proprietary operating
systems. This is Cairo's mailing list and so I will certainly credit the
fact that it is very excellent of the project to accommodate such things
and the hard work of the contributors that made it work. Just not
something I need, or am interested in, in my work. If that makes what I
have offered unsuitable for yours, well, {shrug} sorry about that, but
see above.

If you're working on Linux and are for some God-forsaken reason working
in Java like I am :), then perhaps you will find some interest in our
work, as we in turn have found great interest in the work of the Cairo
community for such a lovely drawing library. I've been very grateful for
the help we've received from Cairo hackers in creating a Java-on-Linux
binding, especially Carl, Behdad, and Adrian (the PDF output is awesome,
mate!).

Thanks.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management: enabling
successful deployment of mission critical information technology in
enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London