[cairo] Road map for remaining pixman refactoring

Jonathan Watt jwatt at jwatt.org
Tue Aug 25 22:49:24 PDT 2009

On 2009-06-09 8:18 AM, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> writes:
>
>> For the more artistic cases directed at perceptual qualities (like
>> some gradients, but not the WM shadow gradient!), luma modulation is
>> of course desirable. But there are better tools for this purpose, like
>> the L*a*b* space. So why go to such great lengths with luma mod?
>
> Compositing in sRGB is hardly going to great lengths. All I'm saying
> is that compositing in linear RGB it not always the right choice.
>
>>  > On the other hand, when the alpha value comes from antialiased polygon
>>  > rasterization, an intensity modulation is clearly desired.
>>  >
>>  > Ideally, images would have both a coverage and a translucency channel.
>> I agree to your assertion buty not your conclusion.
>>
>> AFAIK pixman does, by proxy, also inkscape's rendering. The svg spec
>> 1.1 allows to specify in which space composition should happen; sRGB
>> and linearRGB are amongst them.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/painting.html#ColorInterpolationProperty

Indeed. As the SVG module owner for Mozilla I've heard quite a few complaints
about lack of linearRGB support in Mozilla's SVG implementation, especially for
gradients. It's also the source of conformance test failures for us. If cairo
could add support that we could expose it would be a great help.

Jonathan