[cairo] Road to 1.10

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 03:11:40 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 11:50 +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> With respect to optimizing snapshot performance, any chance anyone could
> take a look at my snapshot-opt branch?  It improves performance a bit on
> Quartz.

To play devil's advocate, can you provide some hard numbers to support
your argument? :-)

This commit caught my eye:
commit 534fcf6e30835bdfd9af130741c5979fd726bf00
Author: Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu.org>
Date:   Tue Nov 25 20:15:15 2008 +0100

    [surface] add surface snapshots

    This patch adds more implementation of the snapshot method.  For
    surface types where acquire_source_image is already making a copy
    of the bits, doing another one as is the case for the fallback
    implementation is a waste.

    In addition, this moves the copying of metadata from the fallback
    to _cairo_surface_snapshot.

It combines an optimization across many files (which ideally should be
one commit per backend to aide bisection - though I know I'm guilty of
performing too broad commits myself) with a bug fix. I'd like to see the
move of the common copy as a separate patch. However, I thought Adrian
had a patch to separate the mime-data from the user-data so we didn't
need the hard-coded copy list. Adrian?
-ickle