[cairo] install failure

Dan Ventura dventura7 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 00:56:19 PST 2009

I'm not sure this is the forum for this, but I can't find anything online to
help me.  I'm trying to install cairo on my MacBook Pro (running OS X
10.5.5) using MacPorts.  The install fails at two points, with the build
output looking like this:
--->  Configuring cairo
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell
command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_cairo/work/cairo-1.8.6"
&& ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-glitz --disable-xcb --enable-ft
--enable-pdf --enable-png --enable-ps --enable-svg --enable-xlib
--enable-xlib-xrender --with-x --enable-quartz --enable-quartz-font
--enable-quartz-image " returned error 1
Command output: checking ApplicationServices/ApplicationServices.h
usability... yes
checking ApplicationServices/ApplicationServices.h presence... yes
checking for ApplicationServices/ApplicationServices.h... yes
checking whether cairo's Quartz surface backend feature could be enabled...
yes
checking for cairo's Quartz font backend feature...
checking whether cairo's Quartz font backend feature could be enabled... yes
checking for cairo's Quartz Image surface backend feature...
checking whether cairo's Quartz Image surface backend feature could be
enabled... yes
checking for cairo's Microsoft Windows surface backend feature...
checking whether cairo's Microsoft Windows surface backend feature could be
enabled... no (requires a Win32 platform)
checking for cairo's Microsoft Windows font backend feature...
checking whether cairo's Microsoft Windows font backend feature could be
enabled... no (requires a Win32 platform)
checking for cairo's PNG functions feature...
checking for png... yes
checking whether cairo's PNG functions feature could be enabled... yes
checking for cairo's FreeType font backend feature...
checking for FONTCONFIG... yes
checking for FcFini... yes
checking for FREETYPE... yes
checking whether cairo's FreeType font backend feature could be enabled...
yes
checking for FT_Bitmap_Size.y_ppem... yes
checking for FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden... yes
checking for FT_Load_Sfnt_Table... yes
checking for FT_Library_SetLcdFilter... yes
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for cairo's PostScript surface backend feature...
checking whether cairo's PostScript surface backend feature could be
enabled... no (requires zlib http://www.gzip.org/zlib/)
configure: error: recommended PostScript surface backend feature could not
be enabled

I tried running the ./config by hand and got a funny permissions error in a
couple of lines of the config.log file.  Not sure what is going on there,
but since I sudo'd the port install, I don't know how I could have
permissions trouble.   Anybody ever see anything like this or have any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan