[cairo] install failure

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2009a at ryandesign.com
Sun Jan 25 01:20:38 PST 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 02:56, Dan Ventura wrote:

> I'm not sure this is the forum for this, but I can't find anything
> online to help me.  I'm trying to install cairo on my MacBook Pro
> (running OS X 10.5.5) using MacPorts.

I'm the maintainer of cairo in MacPorts so I can field this one. We'd
also be happy to help you on the macports-users mailing list. cairo
works great in MacPorts so there must be something peculiar about
your system, which hopefully we can help you figure out.

> The install fails at two points, with the build output looking like
> this:
>
> --->  Configuring cairo
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graph
> ics_cairo/work/cairo-1.8.6" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --
> disable-glitz --disable-xcb --enable-ft --enable-pdf --enable-png --
> enable-ps --enable-svg --enable-xlib --enable-xlib-xrender --with-x
> --enable-quartz --enable-quartz-font --enable-quartz-image "
> returned error 1
> Command output: checking ApplicationServices/ApplicationServices.h
> usability... yes
> checking ApplicationServices/ApplicationServices.h presence... yes
> checking for ApplicationServices/ApplicationServices.h... yes
> checking whether cairo's Quartz surface backend feature could be
> enabled... yes
> checking for cairo's Quartz font backend feature...
> checking whether cairo's Quartz font backend feature could be
> enabled... yes
> checking for cairo's Quartz Image surface backend feature...
> checking whether cairo's Quartz Image surface backend feature could
> be enabled... yes
> checking for cairo's Microsoft Windows surface backend feature...
> checking whether cairo's Microsoft Windows surface backend feature
> could be enabled... no (requires a Win32 platform)
> checking for cairo's Microsoft Windows font backend feature...
> checking whether cairo's Microsoft Windows font backend feature
> could be enabled... no (requires a Win32 platform)
> checking for cairo's PNG functions feature...
> checking for png... yes
> checking whether cairo's PNG functions feature could be enabled... yes
> checking for cairo's FreeType font backend feature...
> checking for FONTCONFIG... yes
> checking for FcFini... yes
> checking for FREETYPE... yes
> checking whether cairo's FreeType font backend feature could be
> enabled... yes
> checking for FT_Bitmap_Size.y_ppem... yes
> checking for FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden... yes
> checking for FT_Load_Sfnt_Table... yes
> checking for FT_Library_SetLcdFilter... yes
> checking pthread.h usability... yes
> checking pthread.h presence... yes
> checking for pthread.h... yes
> checking for cairo's PostScript surface backend feature...
> checking whether cairo's PostScript surface backend feature could
> be enabled... no (requires zlib http://www.gzip.org/zlib/)
> configure: error: recommended PostScript surface backend feature
> could not be enabled

It says it can't find zlib, but in MacPorts zlib is declared as a
dependency of cairo, meaning it should be there.

Is the zlib port installed? Find out with "port installed zlib".

First, upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5.6 using Software Update and make sure
you have any other updates Apple suggests.

Are you using Xcode 3.1.2? If not, upgrade to that version. It's
available from:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

Are you using MacPorts 1.7.0? If not, upgrade using "sudo port
selfupdate", then clean cairo with "sudo port clean cairo" and try
installing it again.

Did you by any chance migrate your data from a PowerPC-based Mac,
including an old MacPorts installation on that Mac? If so, perhaps
the zlib on your Mac is a PowerPC one, which isn't compatible with
the Intel cairo you're now trying to build. If so, you would need to
force rebuild zlib for Intel:

sudo port -nf upgrade zlib

However, since other ports are likely affected as well, it might be
easier to uninstall MacPorts and install everything again, which will
build for Intel this time. Uninstall instructions are in the FAQ:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts

> I tried running the ./config by hand and got a funny permissions
> error in a couple of lines of the config.log file.  Not sure what
> is going on there, but since I sudo'd the port install, I don't
> know how I could have permissions trouble.   Anybody ever see
> anything like this or have any suggestions?

By default MacPorts wants to run as root, so you "sudo port install
cairo". That means everything that's being compiled is also owned by
root. So if you wanted to run anything by hand after that, you would
also have to use sudo, e.g. "sudo ./configure".