[cairo] ABI compatibility?

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Jul 1 01:06:50 PDT 2009

Hey Ian,

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Ian Britten wrote:

> Hi all,
> Does Cairo have any official position regarding ABI compatibility
> between (point) releases?

I'm pretty sure cworth would mobilise units to track down whoever
breaks the ABI between releases.  The main exception to this are the
constructors of the experimental backends which you have to turn on
explicitly yourself anyway, and the 565 pixel format support which
seems to be hovering between obsoleted and almost reinstanted (but
still obsoleted.)

> What I'm mostly wondering at the moment is:  If I upgrade my version
> of Cairo, do I need to rebuild my cairomm stuff too?
> [ I will to be safe, but I was just wondering for the future... ]

You don't say which version you're upgrading from, but regardless, I'm
almost certain you shouldn't have any problems at least from cairo
itself.

Cheers,

Joonas