[cairo] Use of the Cairo manual for a PHP extension

Michael Maclean michael at no-surprises.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 15:02:42 PDT 2009

Hi all,
Together with a couple of other people I've been working on a new Cairo
extension for PHP called pecl-cairo, which is approaching the first
alpha release. The existing two extensions mentioned in
http://cairographics.org/cairo-php/ appear not to have been maintained.
This one provides a drop-in replacement for the cairo-wrapper and a
similar, though more complete, OO API to the other extension.

It will be hosted in PHP's PECL repository[1], and by convention the
documentation will become part of the main PHP manual. I would like to
base the PHP manual on the main Cairo documention, if possible. Therein
lies a problem, however, because the Cairo documentation is licensed as
LGPL/MPL, and the PHP manual itself is licensed as Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0. As I understand it, those are incompatible, I asked on
the IRC channel about this, and cworth mentioned that if we can get
agreement from the contributors to the manual it may be possible to make
an exception. I'm therefore emailing to see if people have any
objections to me doing this. Any opinions are gratefully received.

Thanks,
Michael

[1] http://pecl.php.net/package/cairo