[cairo] [cairo-commit] WATCH_PATH

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jul 22 12:51:46 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 07:05 -0700, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Date:   Sun Jul 5 09:21:47 2009 +0100
>
>     [path] Add path watch debugging
>
>     Simple debug macro to print the path to stderr during
> construction.

This patch seems a bit dubious to me.

I mean, I've often been debugging fiddly issues in cairo's geometry and
needed extra output like this, (or maybe at the trapezoid level instead
of the path), but I don't think we've generally littered the code base
with dead code like this.

My feeling is that this kind of code would be likely to rot, and need to
be fixed up the next time someone wanted to use it anyway, so we get
penalized by the clutter and maintenance, but don't get much benefit.

Does anyone else see that differently?

On the other hand, more general frameworks like the cairo-script
backend, (that can also be very useful for debugging), seem like a very
different beast to me. They seem to come out as net useful because they
are so general, and also because they isolate themselves to their own
files, etc.

-Carl

PS. Cue ickle wishing for userland tracepoints here...