[cairo] New OpenGL backend merged

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Jul 23 05:20:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Jonathan Morton <
jonathan.morton at movial.com> wrote:

> > Honestly, for Firefox I think we're far more interested in performance
> > than really-high-quality antialiasing, so we really want to be able to
> > choose that tradeoff. Keeping animation smooth is more important than
> > AA.
>
> I would argue the opposite way for Firefox.  In my experience the
> overhead associated with text rendering is much more significant than
> any fillrate-related issues, and you don't want to give the very large
> population of "Web surfers" eyestrain.

Text is special. I exclude text rasterization from my above comments.

Animations within Firefox for which framerate matters fall into two
> major categories: video and Flash.  Both of these have their own
> rendering techniques.

Perhaps true for the majority of Web pages today, but we're trying to move
things forward. There's a huge range of browser-based, standards-based
graphical and animation effects becoming available: SVG, <canvas>, CSS
transforms, SVG filtering/clipping/masking for HTML, CSS gradients, CSS
transitions ... we can produce great-looking effects with these, but they're
not so interesting if performance is terrible.

Rob
53:5-6]