[cairo] 32k limit with image surface?

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jul 30 06:29:06 PDT 2009

Hi Ian,

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Ian Britten wrote:

> To simplify the final processing, I'm trying to tile using just one
> tile at the desired width, and altering the height to keep the memory
> use down.  Thus, I'm trying to create image surfaces in the range of
> 50000 x 1572 (approx 300M), but encountered this issue.
>
> [ This approach makes it easier to call things like TIFFWriteScanline(),
> passing the entire scanline at once, rather than trying to join tiles
> together, or producing a tiled TIFF, which isn't wanted for this
> project. ]

Large scanline oriented TIFFs are a pain to work with in my
experience.  Using tiled TIFFs with TIFFWriteTile() is probably easier
than using a pseudo-tiling system on top of TIFFWriteScanline().  Of
course your final processing determines whether you can do that at
all, but there's my 2c anyway. :)

Joonas