[cairo] cairo snapshot 1.9.2 now available

Mathieu Lacage mathieu.lacage at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Jun 15 11:38:16 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 10:38 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 13:51 +0200, David Björkevik wrote:
> > > Since you're in development phase, I'm just curious, any chance we get
> > > to see a "wmf" (windows metafile) producer under Linux/mac ?
> > >
> > > That would be really great! Especially under Mac since it would allow
> > > us to read our graphs directly back into powerpoint.
> >
> > I would also like something like this, but I think that we should go
> > directly to emf instead of wmf.
> >
> > The specs area freely available for download, but implementing the whole
> > thing requires quite a lot of work.
>
> It's really just a matter of someone that's interested doing the
> legwork, then. We'd be more than happy to host such work within cairo,
> and we'll give whatever support we can, (as far as explaining how the
> backend interface works, expanding it if necessary, etc.).
>
> So is there anyone who wants to take a stab at this?

I already expressed interest in this and requested advice on this
mailing-list on the legality of implementing such a backend from the
microsoft specifications. i.e., will the resulting code be legally
redistributable within cairo and linux distributions if we read the
microsoft specifications ?

Mathieu