[cairo] Cairo with glitz backend

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 01:11:54 PST 2009

Hi Marco,

> I have to say that I thougth there would be a boost for all gnome
> applications, but I hardly see any difference from cairo (1.8.6)
> standard (debian packaging).
> I remember passing from standard backends to glitz showed a great
> performance boost.

I did some performance analysis some time ago, and glitz was actually
slower than XRender for the type of workload GTK+ produces, but of
course this depends very much on the OpenGL implementation and the
X-Stack.
Also note that there have been a lot of improvements on Xorg focusing
on XRender performance, so bottlenecks you saw previously may no
longer be there anymore :)

- Clemens