[cairo] Building Cairo on Vista?

Jeff Muizelaar jeff at infidigm.net
Thu Mar 5 14:26:29 PST 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 05:36:18PM -0400, Ian Britten wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm solely a Linux developer, and am trying to help a [ non-Cairo,
> Windows-only ] coworker get Cairo built on Vista.  It's not building
> out-of-the-box, and we're trying to determine what's going on.
> Note the problems so far seem to be with the build process/Makefiles,
> not compiler errors, runtime problems, etc.
>
> We're following the instructions in README.win32, using:
>    - GNU make v3.81
>    - Visual Studio 2008
>    - Vista
>    - no Cygwin
>    - pixman 0.12  (Tried 0.14 too, with the same problem, below)
>    - cairo 1.8.6
>
> When running the given command (make -f Makefile.win32 CFG=release),
> we get this error:
>      'list' is not recognized as an internal or external command
>
> We hit a different problem in pixman with the "@mkdir -p $(CFG_VAR)"
> syntax in its Makefile.  The build seems to fail if the directory is
> already present (And would almost alway be, due to the way the
> directory creation is embedded in the compile-rule), halting the build.
> We worked around that by deleting the mkdir line from the Makefile,
> and manually making the directory before running make.
>

> So, I guess I was wondering if someone could clarify the state of
> Cairo on Vista?  Should it basically build out-of-the-box (Implying
> that the problems we're seeing are something on our side)?  Or is
> no one using Vista (Meaning the build may be untested/bit-rotten)?

I've built 1.8.6 on vista, I may have needed to modify somethings but it
was pretty straight forward. You'll likely need mingw32. I'd suggest
installing MozillaBuild (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/libraries/win32/MozillaBuildSetup-1.3.exe)
and building from in that environment. That's what I did.

-Jeff