[cairo] Request: Separate FreeType and Fontconfig

Ian Britten britten at caris.com
Fri Mar 6 07:21:39 PST 2009

Hi all,
Would it be possible to separate the existing FreeType/Fontconfig
dependencies into two distinct dependencies, with the goal of being
able to use FreeType with Cairo, but not requiring Fontconfig?

I'm trying to help a coworker get Cairo built on Windows, and have
run into this issue.  For our own usage, we definitely need FT, and
thus have turned on CAIRO_HAS_FT_FONT.  Unfortunately, this also
triggers a requirement of Fontconfig, for which we haven't figured
out how to build it on Windows (If it even can be....)

 From some previous posts, it seems I'm not the only one that might be
happy to see this:
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2008-November/015637.html
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2008-October/015466.html

In the meantime, can anyone provide any insight as to how to best
proceed?
   - Try to get Fontconfig built on Windows?  (If possible?)
   - Hack apart every version of Cairo we download, to strip the
     Fontconfig stuff out?
   - Other?

Many thanks for any info, suggestions, etc!
Ian