[cairo] Glow Effect

Bobby Salazar bobby8934 at inbox.com
Fri Mar 27 16:27:50 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have a picture that I've loaded into a cairo image surface. I am trying to figure out a way to add some kind of glow effect to the picture. The kind of glow I'm looking for is where there would be a light source behind the picture such that around every edge there is some yellow glowing pixels fading away as you move out from the edge of the picture. I guess it is quite similar to a shadow effect, only the pixels would be yellow instead of black.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might implement something like this using cairo? So that given any arbitrary image surface (or any surface type really), it would add a glow around all pixels that aren't fully transparent?

Thanks for any ideas!