[cairo] problem regarding cairo-gl

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed May 6 21:13:50 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 18:18 +0530, Yogesh Gole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using cairo-gl from
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~anholt/cairo/tree/?h=gl,
>
> and i tried to run cairo-perf, but while calling glGenFramebuffersEXT
> (all gl extensions functions),
>
> It gives following error message and continues
>
> Mesa 7.0.3-rc2 implementation error: User called no-op dispatch
> function (an unsupported extension function?)
> Please report at bugzilla.freedesktop.org

Sorry about that!  It's one of the things I noted before that needs to
be fixed before it sees serious use -- the cairo-gl backend currently
doesn't check for OpenGL extensions it uses.  My plan is to use GLEW, a
nice[1] library that hides the pain of OpenGL extension handling.

So, you need EXT_framebuffer_object and ARB_texture_non_power_of_two to
use cairo-gl currently.  If you're using the Intel graphics driver,
you'll get EXT_framebuffer_object once you update your kernel, 2D
driver, and Mesa to something recent (I'd recommend 2.6.29.2, 2.7.0, and
7.4 respectively), and it'll be coming to Radeon with the KMS
development by Dave Airlie and Jerome Glisse.

The ARB_texture_non_power_of_two requirement could be relaxed with some
minor work, and would let cairo-gl work on pre-915 hardware.

[1] OK, GLEW is almost nice, except that it lacks a pkgconfig file.  So
it's ugly to build against, but the C API you get in the end is what you
always wished using OpenGL was like.  And I'll forgive just about
anything to get that.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com