[cairo] drawing tons of circles

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Oct 8 11:43:39 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Mami's message of Mon Oct 05 12:04:53 -0700 2009:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>wrote:
> > I should also mention that scaling artefacts may cause uglies if the
> > mask is more than 2x the size of the resultant circle. Just a word of
> > warning.
>
> yep, that is another issue.
> I need small circles so I have tried to create a small original arc and use
> no scaling matrix, but that is a big performance hit.

So with our current, ugly scaling, you could support a wide range of
circle sizes by creating several different circle masks in advance,
each twice as large as the previous, to cover the range of sizes.

Of course, better would be to have good scaling so you could just
render one large mask. That improved scaling should appear in a future
release.