[cairo] update on cairo-gl performance

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:54:07 PDT 2009

2009/10/21 Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net>:
> Just thought I'd throw out some new numbers here in case people were
> curious.

Nice to see the fabeled OpenGL backend cairo finally materialize ;)

That said, I'm wondering about the requirements (or rather the target
OpenGL environment) of the backend. There is no mention of it in the
README[1] and the configure.ac check just looks for gl.pc.

I'm not too familiar with all the OpenGL flavours and drivers, but
mainly I'm wondering if

 * it's strictly directed at "desktop" OpenGL (and which version?)
 * the (to my understanding rather varying) feature/extension support
in the driver landscape is taken into account
 * and does the design allow for OpenGL ES support (though maybe that
already calls for a dedicated surface)?

Oh, and finally, if there is any demo programs using it available?
While running the test and perf suites confirm it's working at least
in some level, I'd like to see something more visual to be able to go
"look, cairo-gl!" ;)

Cheers,
  Kalle

[1] In fact,  not many of the current experimental backends are
mentioned there. Probably something that would be nice to require when
committing a new backend in the future?

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi