[cairo] update on cairo-gl performance

Freddie Witherden freddie at witherden.org
Wed Oct 21 09:56:27 PDT 2009

[Posting explicitly to list; Mail for some reason replies directly
rather than to the list by default, apologies.]

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:56:34 -0700, Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:
> I've done most of my profiling on firefox-talos-gfx, and through fixes
> mostly in Mesa and libdrm I've got it down from upwards of 180 seconds
> on this hardware to 56 seconds.  At this point, the test consumes
> around
> 90% of the CPU still, while around 10% of the time it's idle blocked
> on
> the hardware due to the useless clears of temporary buffers.

Have you tried the benchmark on nVidia or ATI hardware with the binary-
blob
drivers? In my experience from the Warzone 2100 project these have
significantly better support for OpenGL and should be a much more
realistic
benchmark. (As they are much less prone to falling back to software.)

This should give a better idea of how much work is being offloaded by
the
backend.

Regards, Freddie.