[cairo] Color Filter for ColorBlind

Øyvind Kolås islewind at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 02:59:51 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Tiago Rezende Campos Falcao
<tiagofalcao at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I would like to introduce myself.  I am a student at a Brazilian
> University (Unicamp), attending a graduation course entitled "Communitary
> Informatics".  Me and other 2 fellows are interested in contributing with
> GCompris, but we can apply the fix filter in lower layer like Cairo to give
> this option to all cairo based programs.
> We would like to know from you if we can try do this and if it is
> interesting for Cairo Community.

What type of "color filter for color blind" are we talking about here?
One useful for Color Blind people or developers/designers taking such
users into account?

Simulating color deficient vision is simpler than augmenting a color
image with extra contrast helping a color blind person perceive
differences that otherwise would not be perceived.

Simulating color blindness by simply changing individual colors is
useful for designers/developers to understand how different color
deficiencies cause an interface to be perceived and address problems
and can be implemented as a point-filter. I believe a proper filter to
add back the spatial contrast lost by observers with deficient color
vision needs to be a spatial filter (like a blur) on the final UI.

I do believe that both kinds of such filters belong either in the
application(s) themselves or in the window manager/windowing system
along other forms of color profiles.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/