[cairo] Pixman glyph performance, and beyond!

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Oct 23 14:37:33 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>wrote:

> The emphasis here, IMO, has to be to maintain cairo's high image quality -
> jittered or multisampled stencil based approaches are vastly inferior
> (as is the output of some other *slower* 2D libraries, I'm not bitter
> ;-), though there is a strong push to use those for animations where
> the moving image is more forgiving to jaggies and sparkles.

If there are unavoidable quality/performance tradeoffs, then as a consumer
of cairo (Firefox) I would really like to be able to choose our tradeoff
point, because most of the time for us performance is more important than
quality. Or better said, slow animation or rendering is a much more obvious
quality problem than slightly degraded antialiasing.

Rob
53:5-6]