[cairo] Inkscape eps export for Latex

Jose Aliste jose.aliste at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:06:08 PDT 2009

Hi,

I just one to recall that another alternative is given by a different
workflow that is possible when using  xfig. In xfig you can mark a
text with the special flag. Then, when the fig is exported PDF+Latex
or PS+Latex,  two files are generated: a graphics file (either PS or
PDF according to your choice) and a text file with some LaTeX code in
it.   The graphicsfile contains all graphics and text WITHOUT the
special flag.
The textfile contains some Latex magic and all the texts with special
flag together with coordinates so the appear where you want them to
appear. To make this to work you only need to modify Inkscape.

On Mon Aug 31 18:13,
<behdad at behdad.org><cairo-request at cairographics.org> wrote:

>> Another option, one I like to see instead, is a solution similar to TeX's
>> \special. ?That is, have a way in cairo PS backend to inject arbitrary
>> Postscript code. ?The Inkscape can have a kind of external object
>> placeholder that it would inject into cairo's output, and psfrag changed to
>> understand that. ?Similar features for PDF is also desired, but should be
>> flexible enough to allow PDF forms, etc, for example.

The following goes in the same lines but is perhaps simpler and is
clearly not that general as you mentioned above and has the advantage
that would also work with the approach I mention at the begining.
Supposing that you can inject arbitrary postcript code with cairo,
then you could add "special flag" functionality to Inkscape texts, and
then have two more 'formats' to export in inkscape, the one following
what xfig does as above, and another where the text with special flags
are put in the EPS file in the exact format that will be recognized by
psfrag (in fact, i don't understand why one would need to modify
psfrag if you could just inject the correct show command).

Greetings,

José