[cairo] introducing a "context backend"

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 17:59:37 PDT 2010

I always thought the back-end api should look *exactly* like Cairo,
where the cairo_t is a structure of function pointers, one per Cairo
call, but perhaps with a few extra functions. Calls like this:

	cairo_foo(cairo_t* ct, ...)

turn into this:

	ct->foo(ct, ...)

If in fact the back-end does not implement foo(), this points at a
default implementation. If in fact foo() can be done by some lower-level
operation called bar() after some processing, this default
implementation looks like this:

	default_cairo_foo(cairo_t* ct, ...) {
	  xyzzy = frob(...);
	  ct->bar(xyzzy);
	}

It does seem this should be done for *every* Cairo api, no matter how
certain you are that "no back end will ever do that". It seems Cairo
implementations are constantly running into these problems.