[cairo] cairo_window proposal

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 02:05:14 PDT 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:50:02 -0700, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Comments please! Also if you are on Linux (or on something else and are
> adventurous) please try the attached code in the tgz file.
>
> Cairo "toy" Window API

I have some sympathy for this. cairo_boilerplate is an excellent resource
for testing cairo internally, but doesn't make a good foundation for
writing demos. For that I have a very simple event loop with pluggable
backends that expose a cairo_surface_t + swapbuffer and supports drm, gl,
xcb, xlib, shared pixmaps (i.e. image onto xlib).

But I feel strongly that we should not be writing a toolkit nor
distracting people away from better ones. A cairo-demo library that is the
equivalent of glut or SDL would be useful despite my misgivings. Such a
library would not be a part of cairo and if it were to prove popular
should live in its own repository and be distributed separately from
libcairo.so

Just my two cents.