[cairo] [RFC] cairo_stroke_to_path implementation

Jeff Muizelaar jeff at infidigm.net
Mon Feb 1 18:31:39 PST 2010

On 29/01/10 4:26 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 01/29/2010 01:16 AM, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
>
>> Here's my current stroke-to-path work. Algorithmically it's basically
>> where I want it to be, however it's still a bit messy, especially
>> cairo-stroke-to-path.c. I welcome any comments about what needs to be
>> done, stylistically and otherwise, before we can add commit this.
>>
> Thanks Jeff!  Got branch?  Also, a few lines about the algorithm maybe?

I have a branch at
jrmuizel at people.freedesktop.org:~/git/cairo:stroke-to-path2 but it's a mess
and hasn't been merged with trunk.

The algorithm basically just traces a new path, offset a particular
distance, around the input path. To do this we iterate over the path
forwards and then backwards. The resulting path will have intersections,
but can be filled with the non-zero winding rule.

To offset splines it uses the offset of the control polygon as an
approximation of the offset spline and will recursively subdivide the
spline until the approximation is good enough. This method will
occasional diverge from the spline we're trying to approximate, in those
cases we 'convolve' the control polygon with an arc approximation with
the same starting and ending normals.

-Jeff