[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:01:08 PST 2010

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> I would choose Cmyk as blending space and convert Rgb to that and put
> all the resulting Cmyk with the ICC profile into PDF.
> For screen simulation Cmyk would have to be converted to monitor RGB.

So you are saying that ALL cairo back ends must know how to blend CMYK
and must know how to convert their color information to CMYK just in
case the program sends a partially-transparent CMYK image?

That is insane!

I recommend that ALL blending be done in "device space" with the caveat
that "device space" must somewhat resemble sRGB in gamma response. The
only guarantees with spot colors (including CMYK) is that if the image
is 100% opaque and does not have any antialiased pixels that you get
exactly the spot color you specified.