[cairo] cairoplotlib

James Wetter wetter.j at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:01:53 PST 2010

Hello,
For the last few weeks I have been working on creating a scientific plotting
layer that sits on top of cairo.
The reason for this is to create a plotting library comparable to pgplot
that can use cairo's anti-aliasing and font back-ends to make more
attractive plots that have uniform appearance across different output
formats.

The project started as just a back-end for the SPH visualisation tool splash
(http://users.monash.edu.au/~dprice/splash/index.html<http://users.monash.edu.au/%7Edprice/splash/index.html>),
because most other plotting libraries are either missing important features
or overly bloated and have far to many dependancies. But now it has become a
project in its own right.

I am planing on releasing the source under the GPL v3 with the name cpl
(cairoplotlib).  I just wanted to let you know about this project as it is
highly dependant on cairo.

If you have suggestions for a better or more appropriate name please let me
know

Thank you,
James Wetter

Monash  University