[cairo] [RFC] Color space API (partial proposal)

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Wed Feb 24 01:45:58 PST 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> If PDF is unable to accept a nul byte as part of a spot color name, I think a const char* is exactly the right api.
>
> Yes "char*" == "byte array" according to the C spec. But as Zack says, this is not true in practice. In practice "char* + length parameter" == "byte array", while "char*" == "null terminated string".

Yes, BUT YOU MISSED MY POINT.

As I was trying to explain, my main concern was for a "bare pointer" by itself, instead of a value attached to some other structure. Not a typedef, but a color or paint or whichever the appropriate Cairo structure is.

Oh, and in practice "char*" by itself is used as a byte array *VERY* very often. (compared to how often it should be used).