[cairo] Plan for releasing 1.8.10 (this month!)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Jan 14 14:00:07 PST 2010

In the recent thread discussing the cairo 1.10 release process, Behdad
said:

	I think our biggest failure this cycle was NOT not
        getting 1.10 out "on time". It was not getting a
	next 1.8.x release out.

In that thread, I showed that we've been pretty consistently putting out
a new API-changing release every 6-12 months, (with the current 1.10
process stretching that out to 16+ months). But how often have we at
least released something?

Here's a chart similar to what I showed earlier, but showing all
releases. Sure enough, we've been consistent about having a new release
within 6 months of the previous release, until the current cycle which
is stretching out to 7+ months.

My plan is to ensure that this release doesn't stretch out any
further. So I'm committing to release 1.8.10 this month. It already has
6 commits beyond 1.8.8 (as Chris mentioned earlier).

If anyone has any other fixes that are already on master, please let me
know, and I'll cherry-pick them. Otherwise, I'll release what's on the
1.8 branch as is (after testing of course).

Thanks,

-Carl

PS. Going forward, perhaps we'll want to ensure we never go more than 6
months between releases. The X server is doing time-based releases on a
6-month schedule aligned to the end of March and the end of
September. It would probably make sense to align with that if that makes
sense for pixman too. Søren, what do you think?

Month	Release(s)		Delta since previous
-----	----------		--------------------
2005-08	cairo 1.0.0		--
2005-10	cairo 1.0.2		2 months