[cairo] Seams with image backend again

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Jul 11 21:39:05 PDT 2010

Hi Soeren,

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> The program below shows that the image backend can produce seams
> between abutting polygons,

The seam occurs because the two abutting edges are rasterised using
different methods on the scanlines where the seams show.  Turning off
analytic coverage computation entirely fixes this, but obviously also
slows things down.  The problem is that when drawing quads
individually the rasteriser only gets a partial picture of the
geometry at once, so its heuristics for choosing between analytic
coverage vs. supersampling end up fighting each other in the big
picture.

If we could get the two methods to yield bit-exact identical results
and only differ in speed then that would solve it, but I'm not sure if
that's easily doable.

Cheers,

Joonas