[cairo] Where are the stroking (and filling) guts?

Lutz Gehlen lrg_ml at gmx.net
Tue Jun 29 18:22:27 PDT 2010

Hello everybody,
I would like to learn a bit more about stroking and filling is done
in modern graphics software, mainly out of academic interest. I am
particularly interested in thick stroking including antialiasing,
but also in filling.

I have searched the literature a little bit, but found it hard to
determine which of the presented algorithms is used today and which
were dead ends left behind. So I thought I could have look how cairo
does it. I started with the cairo_stroke function and tried to work
myself down to the guts, but got stuck. The only way to go on myself
would probably be to use a debugger to dig deeper.

I hope that instead, one of you can point to the right place, which
will if I am not mistaken probably rather be in pixman than in
cairo. I would like to look at the code where the actual
rasterization is done, where - if I draw a black line - pixels are
actually made black (or grey through antialiasing).

Thanks a lot for your help
Lutz