[cairo] Rendering Intent names

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Mar 16 16:45:55 PDT 2010

CM> An algorithmic approach to determining the [rendering] intent
CM> automatically I think is a better default than either one size
CM> fits all, or altering existing terminology.

Now that is a tremendous idea.

can you provide any insights as to what the code should look at to
determine which intent is better?  Useful heuristics?  Et cetera?

I suspect that contone images (such as jpegs) should lean towards
perceptual.  And perhaps if all of the colours come from a simple
palette (ie, all fully saturated, or all from the 8bit psuedo-
colour web palette) that may suggest saturated or relative.

Or not?

Perhaps we should allocate a wiki page to collect ideas on automating
intent defaults?

-JimC