[cairo] Cairo & OpenGL: is this possible?

John C. Turnbull ozemale at ozemail.com.au
Fri May 14 09:05:20 PDT 2010

Hi Benjamin,

> There's my gst-plugins-cairo work which allows drawing to cairo-gl
> surfaces using GL commands. I achieved that by adding the APIs
> cairo_gl_surface_new_for_texture() and cairo_gl_surface_get_texture().
> That way, I can take the surface's texture, create an FBO for it and
> then draw to that FBO, or I can create a surface for my own texture and
> draw that using traditional Cairo commands.

I am a little confused, are we talking purely video integration here as your gst-plugins-cairo work is for GStreamer/Cairo integration isn't it?  Or are you referring to a more general way of integrating Cairo and OpenGL?

> And of course, there's still the option of using a GLX window with Cairo
> and draw to it with regular GL commands.

But this would only work with X Windows based systems such as Linux right?  I need something that will be fully portable across all OSes and devices.

> Does that sound like something that would work for you?

Potentially, and thanks for replying, but I will need a little further clarification.

Cheers,

-JCT