[cairo] Questions about Cairo and Windows

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 00:52:23 PDT 2010

2010/10/1 Lucan1d Beetle <lucan1d at hotmail.com>:
>> Yes, it can be build on Windows, either using MSVC or through
>> GCC+mingw32. Personally I find the easiest option to be
>> cross-compiling on Linux using mingw.
>
> Why is it easier to build Cairo using MinGW on Linux than Windows?

Because then all the stuff you need to build kan be easily installed
via your distributions package management (things like gcc, the
mingw32 headers, gnu make and the autotools if you're building from
git)

>> I myself have switched to downloading the packages from the OpenSuse
>> BuildService. The mingw project over there has a lot of nice packeges
>> being automatically build for Windows. See for example:
>>
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=mingw32-cairo&project=windows%3Amingw%3Awin32
>> I only compile stuff like Cairo and Gtk myself in order to fix bugs.
>> For distribution with my Windows app, I only rely on the binaries from
>> the BuildService.
>
> OK, you may have to help me here!  I had a look at that page but I am a bit
> lost as to how to get from it to a download of the latest Cairo binaries for
> Windows.  Can you give me a hint?

On the page I linked, click on: openSUSE_Factory > go to download
repository > noarch
There you find all the RPM packages you'll need.
mingw32-cairo-1.10.0-5.10.noarch.rpm for the runtime files you need to
redistribute with your app
mingw32-cairo-devel-1.10.0-5.10.noarch.rpm with the stuff needed for
compiling against Cairo.

Additionally you need the dependencies, which are (if I remember
correctly): fontconfig, freetype, pixman, libpng, zlib.

I wrote a python script that downloads and unpacks the latest packages
automatically, it works under Windows with cygwin.

Maarten