[cairo] 64 bit fixed point in Cairo?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:49:22 PDT 2011

Ideally Cairo should transform floating point to the final coordinates,
then correctly clip off graphics that are outside the output surface
(which is assumed to be smaller than 2^24). Then it can do all the rest
of it's work in 24.8 numbers, perhaps pushing all this decisions into
the back ends.

It is not doing this now but I think that is the correct solution. It
means the transformation matrix has to be floating point (though there
could be flags to indicate what parts are different than the identity,
and the translation component could be split into a 24.8 addition if
this will keep the xy offsets in the matrix zero.

You should be warned that if you zoom way in on a location that is far
from the origin, you will see serious artifacts due to the low
resolution of large floating point numbers. You may want to rethink your
source data into a hierarchy, so that for each "object" coordinates are
close to zero and the object is parented to a translation that moves it
to closest floating point value in absolute space. This would also allow
you to avoid Cairo's bugs by setting it only to the difference between
the whole-scene translation and the local object translation before drawing.