[cairo] performance tuning questions

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 01:53:58 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Alexander Shulgin
<alex.shulgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 06:01, cs <changosurf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Assuming that we successfully achieve creating a minimal cairo build, should
>> we see an improvement in performance?
>
> I fail to see how reducing the library size facilitates performance.
> Other than effects of code locality and processor caches which are
> unlikely to be affected, there's no reason to try.
>
>> Are there any other steps that can be taken in order to improve cairo’s
>> performance?
>
> 1. Turn off features you don't need.
> 2. Profile your code to see where it spends most processor cycles.

You might also want to create a trace so that cairo and pixman can be improved
to provide better performance for your application if you find that
your code spends
a lot of time in them.

See  http://www.cairographics.org/FAQ/#profiling to learn how to do that.

Andrea